Thursday, September 8, 2011

Westmass. (Read: Westmss)


Oh, boy. I don't think any of us were expecting this. 

There comes a time in a girl's life when she realizes that she needs to tone down her imagination. She needs to stop fantasizing about things before they happen because they inevitably will not be what she's dreamed about. I think a lot of women have this revelation because they're tired of figuring out how crappy their significant other actually is, but for me, it's happened most with trips and adventures. It's not so much that they're WORSE than what I'd wanted or BAD or something, just very, very different. Sometimes, much better than I could have hoped. Sometimes, a bit of a letdown.

Before this trip, I calmed myself. I said, "Molly, do NOT get attached to an image of a, like, a tribe of free-thinking thespians who could absolutely dominate the world of theater if they weren't so grounded and generous. Also, do NOT imagine a gorgeous, sacred working environment with every instrument and costume and carpentry tool known to humanity. And, most specifically, DO NOT UNDER ANY CONDITIONS believe that you will make friends with any of the other interns. That's not what this is ABOUT, Molly. In fact," I said to me, sagely, "in fact, just try not to think about it too much at all."

But, of course, I DID think about it, and, of course, I imagined all those things.

And guess what? THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS. It's creative boot camp. The ensemble members are INCREDIBLE, the setting is already breathtaking and it's only going to get better because have I mentioned FALL IN NEW ENGLAND, and there are at least two other interns that I'm hands-down sure I'll be lasting friends with.

We trained twice today, two hours apiece. It's constant movement. Right now, things are a little difficult because we're really following our leading ensemble member's movements, but I think it will become more free-for-all later. 

I'm too worn out to write much right now. I have wi-fi, so I'll be able to keep in touch much better than expected. 

Trips to New York and Boston will be organized!

And guess what? Guests are welcome. Just. So you know that.

Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment