This has been the case since entering New Hampshire. I'm not sure why. I think because I'm eating enough and maybe the endorphines that come with finally climbing instead of stumbling through bogs? Who knows?
Cousin Abby is meeting me today! I've been looking forward to seeing her for so long! The Pinkham Notch Visitor's Center serves all-you-can-eat breakfast and my little belly is bursting. The weather looks decent for the next three days and my new shoes are wonderful.
The Whites are heavily touristed. While occasionally overwhelming, this is mostly cool for me because it's my first encounter with thru-hiker hype. The tourists talk about us like we talk about bears and moose.
Shhhh! Is that one? Ma'am? Are you thru-hiking?
Why yes. And I WOULD like an apple, thank you.
Tourists also mean huts. Those are the "remote" mountain lodges that "hikers" can "hike" up to, some of which are located along the trail. They offer work-for-stay for thru-hikers AND, because the staff has to hike all their trash off the mountain, they THROW leftovers at us. Whatever we'll eat. Full meals and desserts and delicious lemonade? The best.
Last night, I stealth-camped between two boulders. It was mostly me showing off for myself because I thought it looked cool. It wasn't very comfortable. But guys, it... It looked so cool. It really did.
That's really my one major problem. I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping.
But I don't feel tired, so no real complaints.
The hardest part of The Whites is very much yet to come. I'm rather nervously looking forward to it.
And then. My birthday. And Dad and Margie's visit.
Why is EVERYTHING SO GOOD??????
But really. Cynics want to know.

No comments:
Post a Comment