Sunday, July 6, 2014

In Which Amalia And Chelsea Ride Horses, Zip Line, Watch Soccer, And See No Monkeys.

Today, we were shipped to a corner outside of Rincon De La Vieja. I feel that this particular monkey tour was really hitting the natural wonders angle in their advertising and is, in practice, exploring the would-you-like-a-beer-and-a-towel angle. We didn't hike up the volcano. We haven't really done anything Costa Rica specific yet.

We rode horses up a huge hill to a twelve part zip line canopy tour... I guess that was more specific than the whitewater rafting. It was fun. What you'd imagine it being. I don't know. Many "high adventure" activities in this context ultimately feel clinical. The workers are quite bored with us, so when something is genuinely amazing or exciting, it's squashed by the cloud of apathy seeping from the nearest tan polo.

What was genuinely amazing today, and without price tag, and without bored twenty-something guiding me through it, was getting to watch Costa Rica play the Netherlands in the (outdoor sprawling gazebo of a) hotel bar.  Just us and the staff. They closed everything for the game.

I loved it! I love soccer now and everyone was yelling and I learned three swear words! It was sad when they lost, but everyone stood up and applauded and they were so proud of their boys. I saw this a little in England during the Olympics... Seems like less competitive teams from smaller nations get loved on a lot more by their fans. Whereas we're ashamed of our teams if they come in second. 

I snuck away from the group to check out one of the resort's hiking trails, which was beautiful. Sometimes the tree roots grow around the trunk like lattice. 

Tomorrow, we go to Nicaragua.

Monkey Count: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment